collapse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Forum Topics

What does it mean to be an experienced rider? by zacapa
[February 18, 2018, 09:57:14 PM]

Kaokoland guided / supported tour May 2018 by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 18, 2018, 01:28:41 PM]

Orange River Wild Ride by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 17, 2018, 04:18:09 PM]

700 Km Cederberg Oasis by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 17, 2018, 01:51:18 PM]

Sunset / Sunrise by jthuynsma@hotmail.com
[February 16, 2018, 09:19:47 AM]

Why do we not have more people adventuring on small bikes? by michnus
[February 10, 2018, 04:47:09 AM]

What I've learnt post heart attack by Norberto
[February 08, 2018, 07:33:31 PM]

Dangerous roads the world's most spectacular roads by meurig
[February 03, 2018, 03:53:55 PM]

Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart by meurig
[February 02, 2018, 09:15:19 AM]

Dakar 2018 by Geotraveller
[February 02, 2018, 06:09:52 AM]

Author Topic: Handle Bar Raisers  (Read 13566 times)

Offline OomD

• CANSwitch
  • Bike: BMW R1200GSA
Re: Handle Bar Raisers
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2015, 06:37:33 AM »
Not related to risers I think, but I have a rather peculiar other problem- after a longish ride I have a sore little muscle right between right thumb and index finger. Don't know if it is maybe from old rugby injury or from all the drum playing I do regularly or what. Obviously related to the throttle position.

Next day it is so sore I can hardly write or pick up a glass even.  Anyone else have this?

Draadwerk, I used to have this. I figured it was the diameter of the grips that are too small for my hands, so I cover my grips with cricket-bat covers. It adds about 3-5mm to the diameter of the grip, and has sorted out my problem.

Offline zacapa

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
With the f-uped ergonomics of a standard XR650L it only begs for some handlebars raisers which still puts the bars high enough but too far backwards. I went with some Rox 50mm pivot raisers and a KTM MX fatty bar which is wide with little sweep. Perfect in my opinion and would not change a thing. I'm 1.78 so things fit me well. On my XR400R the standard bars are actually OK as they came from the factory though they could be a bit higher. All bikes are different and i guess some may benefit from raisers - others not.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:45:22 PM by Thorsten »

Offline michnus

• Global Moderator
  • Get de hell out there!
    • PikiPiki motorcycle travel blog
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Enduro
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
On my old 1200GS I have short risers and it is a perfect set-up for me riding the bike on longer distances standing. Off road I can't say it affected me negatively. Never had issues at all offroad in sand or technical stuff. On my HP2 for some reason I do not need risers and the setup as is works well. I still want to take measuremtns of the ergonomics to see if it the same between the 1200GS - HP2 - 1200GSAdv
On the Dr650 we ride at the moment for damn sure we have to use raisers the bike is too crouch to be comfortable even off road.

In my very humble non-expert opinion as Trailrider also mentioned the militant way Jan and the Country Trax boys sell this story is a real turn off. Have seen Facebook post where they go in as a gang and shat on everybody from a dizzy height ridiculing and belittling people for using risers and being dinosaurs. Not one tried to explain to the group really why and how it works. It is sad that they have become so arrogant about being the big dicks in BMW and ZA. But so be it.

I asked them to explain it in a proper scientific way where they got onto the idea of handlebars risers being bad but none came forward. Got the standard BS reply. I got the distinct idea somewhere some pseudo engineer had bee in the bonnet and it got taken as gospel by the church. They all use big words like centre of gravity and angle of attack and such but I think most does not even understand the meaning of it.
So for me, personally until someone there can in a proper way explain it I will take it as his opinion only.

Sure, I agree 100mm stacks is stupid but if you add say 12mm-20mm I cant not see it affects your ability to ride a bike properly offroad.

I know as many very competent riders with risers on their bikes and they have no issues with it and no issues riding their bikes offroad. In the end it is your bike, if you like it and it works for you then so be it, you are not racing the Dakar. Every bike needs setting up for each rider. The KLR'S and Dakar's had stuff that needed done to them. We try setup dualsport bikes to do a lot of different stuff for us. On road, offroad, technical stuff so some stuff you comprises on.

Offline MrBig

• Administrator
    • Roam Africa
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 955i
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
With the f-uped ergonomics of a standard XR650L it only begs for some handlebars raisers which still puts the bars high enough but too far backwards. I went with some Rox 50mm pivot raisers and a KTM MX fatty bar which is wide with little sweep. Perfect in my opinion and would not change a thing. I'm 1.78 so things fit me well. On my XR400R the standard bars are actually OK as they came from the factory though they could be a bit higher. All bikes are different and i guess some may benefit from raisers - others not.

This sums it up IMO
That being said one also has to factor in the proportions of the rider.
On my XR400R I have found the optimal for me to be 70mm (fat bar ) - probably because it's has a shortish wheelbase and steep rake.
Some bikes have better ergonomics than others.. I remember the old Africa Twin (XRV750) footpegs were rather far forward.
The HP2 in comparison has much more room between the pegs and the bar.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• Carpé Diem (Life's short - Ride hard!)
    • West Coast Parts
  • Bike: BMW F800 GS
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
I also thought that I was smart - 2m tall and that I of all needed raisers on a F800GS. Jan made us take it off on an intermediate training session BUT also asked us to tilt the handlebar forward to allow for a 30° lever angle, instead of the level installation from the factory.
I discovered two things:
1. I did not even miss the raisers (mine were 50mm),
2: tilting the handlebars brought the grips up and forward, and adjusted the rake of the levers, so that, when standing my fingers became an extension of the arm - almost in a straight line. No more carpal channel syndrome when standing - better throttle control, and I was perfectly comfortable on the F800GS - without raisers.
my 2c☺
BoosterPlugs, LED Spots and mounts, Tool Tubes, LED Bicycle Lights

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
I also thought that I was smart - 2m tall and that I of all needed raisers on a F800GS. Jan made us take it off on an intermediate training session BUT also asked us to tilt the handlebar forward to allow for a 30° lever angle, instead of the level installation from the factory.
I discovered two things:
1. I did not even miss the raisers (mine were 50mm),
2: tilting the handlebars brought the grips up and forward, and adjusted the rake of the levers, so that, when standing my fingers became an extension of the arm - almost in a straight line. No more carpal channel syndrome when standing - better throttle control, and I was perfectly comfortable on the F800GS - without raisers.
my 2c☺

On my last two bikes I just loosen the handlebars and rotate them to the highest point, then tighten them up again.  Only being 1.78m tall, this works for me

PS I also rotate the clusters and levers to the most comfortable angle for me as well, mirrors at their highest point

Tags: bar raisers