collapse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Add or submit links to our LINKS page. For additional categories contact a forum Administrator.

Recent Forum Topics

What does it mean to be an experienced rider? by zacapa
[February 18, 2018, 09:57:14 PM]

Kaokoland guided / supported tour May 2018 by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 18, 2018, 01:28:41 PM]

Orange River Wild Ride by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 17, 2018, 04:18:09 PM]

700 Km Cederberg Oasis by WildWood Motorcycle Tours
[February 17, 2018, 01:51:18 PM]

Sunset / Sunrise by jthuynsma@hotmail.com
[February 16, 2018, 09:19:47 AM]

Why do we not have more people adventuring on small bikes? by michnus
[February 10, 2018, 04:47:09 AM]

What I've learnt post heart attack by Norberto
[February 08, 2018, 07:33:31 PM]

Dangerous roads the world's most spectacular roads by meurig
[February 03, 2018, 03:53:55 PM]

Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart by meurig
[February 02, 2018, 09:15:19 AM]

Dakar 2018 by Geotraveller
[February 02, 2018, 06:09:52 AM]

Author Topic: Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart  (Read 945 times)

Offline Goingslowly

• NC700X - Adventure in progress
  • Bike: Honda NC 700
Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
From the US :

"Of the almost 6,000 collision-involved motorcyclists we studied, nearly 1,000 were lane-splitting at the time of their collision. When we compared motorcyclists who were lane-splitting with those who were not, we could see that the lane-splitting riders were notably different. Compared with other motorcyclists, lane-splitting motorcyclists were more often riding on weekdays and during commute hours, were using better helmets, and were traveling at lower speeds. Lane-splitting riders were also less likely to have been using alcohol and less likely to have been carrying a passenger. Lane-splitting motorcyclists were much less often injured during their collisions. They were considerably less likely to suffer head injury, torso injury, extremity injury, and fatal injury than riders who were not lane-splitting."  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/uc-berkeley-study-finds-lane-splitting-reduces-motorcyc-1708755125
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/california-highway-patrol-lane-splitting-is-not-inhere-1649926730

Offline TVB1

• Bike: Honda XL600V Transalp
Re: Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
Lane splitters (I have been one for years while working in the Cities) in general are more aware of their surrounds and therefore are better navigators/observers as they focus on the traffic and the safest quickest way to get to work. The weekend warriors normally like to play, speed and reinact Rossi in the corners. Most of serious bike accidents I came across (as paramedic) were bikers running wide and about (I am only guessing) a third were smelling of alcohol.
So I agree with their study

Offline Jacobsroodt

• Carpé Diem (Life's short - Ride hard!)
    • West Coast Parts
  • Bike: BMW F800 GS
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
Lane splitting by riding through two cars next to the other is safest - neither will change lanes because the opposite lane is occupied.
Lane splitting at traffic lights has saved my life. Leave space for the guy thinking the light is dark green and avoid being rammed from behind.
BoosterPlugs, LED Spots and mounts, Tool Tubes, LED Bicycle Lights

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »
Lane splitting by riding through two cars next to the other is safest - neither will change lanes because the opposite lane is occupied.
Lane splitting at traffic lights has saved my life. Leave space for the guy thinking the light is dark green and avoid being rammed from behind.

I have only been pulled over once for lane splitting on the Stellenbosch Arterial Road near the R300, after a ten minute polite debate I was allowed to go without a fine or caution

Offline Geotraveller

• Illegitimi Non carborundum
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660 R
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:12:00 AM »

I have only been pulled over once for lane splitting on the Stellenbosch Arterial Road near the R300, after a ten minute polite debate I was allowed to go without a fine or caution

I am actually going to try and find the piece of legislation to print and keep on me. Never been pulled over here and actually found that the cops also give way. But there will be a day when the Just More Pay Day (JMPD) will try and extort a bribe.
"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

I am actually going to try and find the piece of legislation to print and keep on me. Never been pulled over here and actually found that the cops also give way. But there will be a day when the Just More Pay Day (JMPD) will try and extort a bribe.

Can only find this https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Lane-Splitting-Advice-and-Guidelines-for-Bikers-from-the-Experts

Tags: