collapse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Forum Topics

Baviaanskloof long weekend by meurig
[October 17, 2017, 05:43:03 PM]

How To Use Your Smartphone as a GPS by meurig
[October 17, 2017, 05:34:36 PM]

Chickens they are roosting? by michnus
[October 16, 2017, 06:52:40 PM]

Willem Du Toit Dakar 2018 Fundraiser day 8 October 2017 Melkbosstrand CT by Geotraveller
[October 16, 2017, 06:32:17 PM]

Nuvi 205 by Dual
[October 16, 2017, 11:06:50 AM]

Powered paragliding by meurig
[October 16, 2017, 08:30:20 AM]

Joey Evans Book Launch by Geotraveller
[October 13, 2017, 03:29:29 PM]

Boer and Soutie adventure weekend by Geotraveller
[October 13, 2017, 05:52:37 AM]

2018 Kawasaki KLX 250 dual sport by michnus
[October 12, 2017, 02:11:47 AM]

My Workshop Projects by G-man
[October 10, 2017, 07:16:46 PM]

* Recent Blog Posts

4 Blogs, 68 Articles
Latest articles:

[April 24, 2017, 01:57:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:01:49 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:39:56 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:32:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:22:37 AM]

Author Topic: Dakar 2018  (Read 1453 times)

Offline MrBig

• Administrator
    • Roam Africa
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 955i
Re: Dakar 2018
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
Hopefully, this time around I can follow the event in earnest - for a change.  :drif:
Missed the previous one due to work commitments. 

Offline Geotraveller

• Illegitimi Non carborundum
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660 R
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
I have just been lucky to have time on my hands that time of year. But it's been great
"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
Frenchman Xavier De Soultrait and Franco Caimi have signed with Yamaha to be part of their four-man team for Dakar Rally 2018.

Top rookie of the 2017 Dakar Rally, Caimi from Argentina placed eighth overall.

“There are no words to thank Yamaha for giving me the opportunity to join their official team,” told Caimi. “The feeling has been great ever since I got on the WR450F Rally machine. Switching from enduro to rally racing almost two years ago I immediately felt it was the right thing to do, so joining the Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team is a huge step in my career.”

One of the strongest Yamaha riders during the early stages of the rally, privateer De Soultrait was fastest on the opening stage and consistently placed inside the top five until running into trouble mid way. Now part of the official Yamaha he’s looking forward to better his result of 13th from Dakar 2016.

“Being part of the Yamaha family for a long time, it feels great to be part of the Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team,” said De Soultrait. “Everything is so well organised and from our part we only have to worry about our performance in the stages.

“We've started testing the latest version of the WR450F Rally couple of weeks ago and I was immediately impressed by its overall performance. Compared to the mostly standard bike I raced in this year's Dakar, there is more power, better braking performance and loads of extra top speed. It's a great package, which we want to make even better for the upcoming Dakar.”

The duo make their start as factory Yamaha riders in this week’s Afriquia Merzouga Rally.

“We are happy to announce that Xavier de Soultrait and Franco Caimi will be the factory riders alongside Adrien Van Beveren and Rodney Faggotter,” said the Yamaha boss José Leloir,

“We are at the Afriquia Merzouga Rally for the fifth time as it’s a great training ground and nice competition for the riders and the machines."

"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
Brother v Brother in 2018 maybe?

KTM SIGN LUCIANO BENAVIDES TO RALLY TEAM

KTM have signed Luciano Benavides — brother to Kevin Benavides — to their Rally Factory Racing Team.

The 21-year-old Argentinian rider joins Laia Sanz under KTM’s RALLY KTM sister team to the Red Bull KTM Rally Factory Racing Team.

KTM Rally Factory Racing are pleased to welcome Luciano Benavides who joins the squad with immediate effect. The young Argentinian will make his first competitive outing aboard KTM’s 450 RALLY machine during the Desafio Ruta 40 this August, focusing on improving his rally racing skills under the watchful eye of the KTM Rally Factory Racing team.

Part of the KTM family for the past four years, 21-year-old Luciano has been successfully contesting various national and international off-road events. A two-time outright Argentinean Enduro Champion, the Salta native has represented Argentina at the prestigious International Six Days Enduro on more than one occasions and claimed victories in the Open A class of the Full Gas Sprint Enduro Series in the US.

An accomplished off-road rider, Luciano took the decision to make a switch towards rally racing at the end of 2016. Following in the footsteps of his elder brother and Dakar Rally rookie sensation Kevin Benavides, Luciano now has his sights set on learning and developing his skills as part of the KTM Rally Factory Racing team.

Starting with the upcoming Desafio Ruta 40 in August, Luciano will continue his apprenticeship aboard the KTM 450 RALLY machine at the OiLibya Rally in October with the goal of earning a place in the Dakar Rally 2018.

Luciano Benavides: “I’m really excited to be joining the KTM Rally Factory Racing team. For me, being part of the team that has been dominating the international rally scene for many years is like a dream come true. I’ve raced enduro for several years, winning two national titles in Argentina, and at the end of 2016 I decided to make the switch to rally.

“Finishing fourth overall at the 2016 Dakar Rally, my elder brother Kevin has been a role model for me. I am 21 now and I strongly believe this is the perfect moment to focus on building my career in rally racing. Becoming a member of such a professional team gives me great motivation to work hard. Our first event will be the Desafio Ruta 40 in Argentina and then we’ll head to Morocco for the OiLibya Rally, in October. My main goal is to get fully prepared for my first Dakar Rally in 2018. I’m extremely grateful to KTM for giving me the opportunity to learn and improve.”

KTM Rally Factory Racing team manager Alex Doringer is particularly pleased to sign Benavides to the end of 2020, saying: “We are very happy to be welcoming Luciano into the KTM Rally Factory Team. Signing a young racer like Luciano to a multi-year programme will allow him the time to learn, develop and grow as an athlete, while working closely with our Rider Manager Jordi Viladoms and the rest of the riders in the team.

“We aim to support him in the best ways, allowing him to find his speed in a safe, no-pressure environment. Starting with the Ruta 40 in Argentina and the OiLibya rally in Morocco he will take his first step in rally with us, and we hope that he will then qualify for Dakar and begin the next stage of his development.”

Red Bull KTM Rally Factory Racing Team
Toby Price (AUS) - KTM 450 RALLY
Sam Sunderland (GBR) - KTM 450 RALLY
Matthias Walkner (AUT) - KTM 450 RALLY
Antoine Meo (FRA) - KTM 450

RALLY KTM Rally Factory Racing Team
Laia Sanz (ESP) - KTM 450 RALLY
Luciano Benavides (ARG) - KTM 450 RALLY

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »
Barreda takes the leadership after the Baja Aragón prologue

Monster Energy Honda Team got the 2017 Baja Aragón off to a flying start with Joan Barreda romping home in first place and team-mate Michael Metge, third in the curtain-raising event.

Joan Barreda – his Honda CRF450 emblazoned with the number one – scorched his way through the short nine-kilometre prologue to clinch victory with a six second advantage over the nearest second-place rival.

Michael Metge, who had finished third overall last year, also kept up a cracking pace on the Honda CRF450 RALLY, posting third on the day some fifteen seconds behind his Monster Energy Honda Team companion.

Tomorrow will see two special sectors with a total of 350 kilometres to run.

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »
Joan Barreda wins the Baja Aragon 2017.

Monster Energy Honda Team rider Joan Barreda has secured his fourth victory in the Baja Aragon 2017 with team-mate Michael Metge making it onto the podium, repeating third place.

The Baja Aragon 2017 concluded today in Teruel with the victory of Joan Barreda and a podium place for Michael Metge. It is the fourth win in the Spanish race for the Castellón rider, who outclassed the opposition in each of the stages.

In the final stage of the 154-kilometre race, the Monster Energy Honda Team rider once again established the fastest time to become the victor of this 34th edition of the legendary Baja Aragón.

Team-mate Michael Metge finished in third place overall after a controversial five-minute penalty following a GPS error. It is the second consecutive podium for the French rider in Teruel.

For Monster Energy Honda Team the race marks the commencement of the racing season that will ultimately culminate with the 2018 Dakar. The next event will be the Atacama Rally in Chile with Paulo Gonçalves and Kevin Benavides, while Joan Barreda, Michael Metge and Ricky Brabec participate in the Vegas to Reno, in the United States.

Pos.   Rider   Num   Nation   Team   Constructor   Time/Gap
1   BARREDA Joan      SPA   Monster Energy Honda Team   Honda   2:14'03
2   ADRIÀ David      SPA   Pont Grup Yamaha JVO   Yamaha   +1'18
3   PEDRERO Joan      SPA   Sherco TVS Rally Factory   Sherco   +2'50
4   METGE Michael      FRA   Monster Energy Honda Team   Honda   +3'05
5   ESPAÑA Cristian      AND   Team CE Rally   KTM   +5'50
6   SOLÀ Marc      SPA   Himoinsa Team   KTM   +9'33
7   ASENSIO Héctor      SPA   Asensio Racing Team   KTM   +10'06
8   OLIVERAS Daniel   82   SPA   Himoinsa Team   KTM   +10'09
9   METGE Adrien      FRA   Sherco TVS Rally Factory   Sherco   +10'48
10   RUOSO Alessandro      ITA   OffRoad Motors   Yamaha   +13'45

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »
Gonçalves and Benavides, all fired up for the Atacama Rally

After the successes of the recent Baja Aragón, where the Monster Energy Honda Team clinched a noteworthy victory, the team now takes to the Chilean desert to tackle the third round of the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship – the Atacama Rally.

The Monster Energy Honda Team’s next world championship adventure will take place in the north of Chile from 12th to 18th August. The campaign will be spearheaded by the duo of Paulo Gonçalves (Portugal) and Kevin Benavides (Argentina) who participated in the two previous world championship events in Abu Dhabi and Qatar in April.

The rider from Salta, Argentina, now fully-recovered from the injury that forced him to sit out the Dakar 2017, will be looking to regain the pace required for top-level rally competition in the build-up to the season’s main event – the 2018 Dakar Rally. Last year Benavides made it onto the podium in the Chilean race and aims to improve on this result in this year’s edition. For Portuguese rider Gonçalves the objective will be to put in a satisfactory performance in the Chilean desert that could earn precious points towards the championship title. Likewise, the rally should prove to be invaluable training ahead of the Dakar – the season’s biggest challenge for the Monster Energy Honda Team.

The Atacama Rally kicks off in Copiapó with a 15-kilometre prologue and finishes in Iquique, in the north of the country, after having disputed a total distance of 1960 kilometres, featuring 1430 kilometres of special stage.

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 06:23:06 AM »
Paulo Goncalves
We’ve now arrived at a very important part of the season in which it’s going to be important to do things right in the decisive phase as we head towards the Dakar. We have done some testing and with this, the Atacama Rally, and then after, the Ruta 40, it will be really important to make sure that we are on the right track.

Kevin Benavides
This will be a really important race for me. I had an injury that ruled me out of last year’s Dakar and I returned to the action in the Middle East, where the important thing was to work on the wrist and make sure that that was fully-recovered. Now, the time has come to try and get better results on ‘home soil’, both here and at the Ruta 40. It is going to be important to try and get the pace back and try to bond well with the rest of the team.

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:17 AM »
Yamaha are going to the Atacama

Following their winning performance at the Merzouga Rally in Africa, Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team are geared up for the Atacama Rally 2017 in Chile.

Joining the team of Xavier de Soultrait and Franco Caimi will be Dakar Rally sensation Adrien Van Beveren, with the trio of Yamaha riders looking to secure yet more podium success in 2017.

Playing host to the third round of the 2017 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship, the Atacama Rally will see Adrien Van Beveren make his much-expected return to racing following his injury earlier this season.

Working hard to return to full fitness, the Frenchman will take advantage of the six-day-long event in the dunes of Chile to better prepare for the upcoming Dakar Rally.

“I've worked hard following my injury and I feel that I'm maybe even stronger than before,” told Van Beveren.

“I've been doing lots of cycling so physically I'm in a very good place right now. The Atacama Rally will be my first major event after the Dakar so the plan is to take one step at a time.”

Claiming victory at the Merzouga Rally in May, Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team's Xavier de Soultrait has his eyes set on continuing his strong run of form during the 2017 international rally racing season.

Knowing that another strong finish is well within his reach, Xavier will also look to gain further 'dune riding' experience and off-track navigation.

“We know navigation will be key in Chile but we're more than ready for it,” said de Soultrait. “I'm feeling great at the moment and I know what needs to be done to battle for stage victories.”

Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team's line-up for the Atacama Rally 2017 is completed by rally rookie Franco Caimi. Taking the rally scene by surprise with his podium result at the Merzouga Rally, the young Argentinean is eager to continue his apprenticeship aboard the WR450F Rally machine at the week-long Atacama Rally.

Kicking off with a short 14km-long prologue on Sunday, August 13, the 2017 edition of the Atacama Rally will see competitors contest a total of five stages in the north of Chile.

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
First stage Atacama done and dusted.

From Honda:

Monster Energy Honda Team put on a show of strength as the Atacama Rally gets underway
Kevin Benavides and Paulo Gonçalves posted second and third place on the looping circuit starting and finishing in Copiapó, as the first full stage of the 2017 Atacama Rally wraps up.

Kevin Benavides pulled off an excellent first stage fight-back after starting out in tenth position this morning, before battling his way through the field. Team-mate Paulo Gonçalves was likewise displaying solid riding skills and deft navigation to finish 25” off his Monster Energy Honda Team partner.

The 226.18 kilometre timed special stage started out in the outskirts of Copiapó before looping its way around to finish where it began. The day served up 80% sand including some dunes as well as some 85 kilometres of fast track.
Tomorrow’s second stage from Copiapó to Cifuncho will include 25 kilometres of liaison section, 308 kilometres of special stage and a final 50 kilometre liaison section before arriving at the bivouac situated in Tal Tal.

Results:

1   QUINTANILLA Pablo    Husqvarna    2:23'12
2   BENAVIDES Kevin      Honda   +1'10
3   GONCALVES Paulo      Honda   +1'35
4   DE SOULTRAIT       Yamaha             +3'18
5   CAIMI Franco        Yamaha           +6'37
6   SUNDERLAND Sam       KTM            +7'01
7   VAN BEVEREN Adrien   Yamaha   +10'10
8   WALKNER Matthias      KTM      +10'11
9   CORNEJO José         KTM      +10'33
10   RENET Pierre-Alexandre   Husqvarna   +16'17

Nice to see KTM Factory in the mix for this. As it is a longish event, I just wonder if they are again not just honing their wait and pounce tactics. But so far I am happy that Quinta is up there. One of my favourites.

Tags: