collapse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Add or submit links to our LINKS page. For additional categories contact a forum Administrator.

Recent Forum Topics

Baviaanskloof long weekend by meurig
[October 17, 2017, 05:43:03 PM]

How To Use Your Smartphone as a GPS by meurig
[October 17, 2017, 05:34:36 PM]

Chickens they are roosting? by michnus
[October 16, 2017, 06:52:40 PM]

Willem Du Toit Dakar 2018 Fundraiser day 8 October 2017 Melkbosstrand CT by Geotraveller
[October 16, 2017, 06:32:17 PM]

Nuvi 205 by Dual
[October 16, 2017, 11:06:50 AM]

Powered paragliding by meurig
[October 16, 2017, 08:30:20 AM]

Joey Evans Book Launch by Geotraveller
[October 13, 2017, 03:29:29 PM]

Boer and Soutie adventure weekend by Geotraveller
[October 13, 2017, 05:52:37 AM]

2018 Kawasaki KLX 250 dual sport by michnus
[October 12, 2017, 02:11:47 AM]

My Workshop Projects by G-man
[October 10, 2017, 07:16:46 PM]

* Recent Blog Posts

4 Blogs, 68 Articles
Latest articles:

[April 24, 2017, 01:57:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:01:49 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:39:56 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:32:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:22:37 AM]

Author Topic: Dakar 2018  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Geotraveller

• Illegitimi Non carborundum
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660 R
Re: Dakar 2018
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
From HRC:

Morocco Rally’s second special stage – originally scheduled for 364.5 kilometres – was cut short due to an unexpected rise in the level of some of the rivers. The times at the first check point will dictate the day’s stage results.

In spite of the fact that certain modifications to the roadbook had already been announced yesterday in Erfoud, heavy rains saw some of the rivers near to CP2 affected more than had been expected. Race authorities made the decision to stop the race at CP1. Ricky Brabec was the best finisher of the Monster Energy Honda Team riders, while Paulo Gonçalves and Kevin Benavides posted tenth and eleventh positions in the results at CP1.

Tomorrow’s third stage will be the first part of the two-day marathon stage from Erfoud to Erg Lihoudi, with 254.75 kilometres in the first special stage and 142.79 km in the second after a 180.36 km liaison section. The course will involve overcoming some rivers – oueds in local parlance – which could be either water-filled or mud-drenched, plus there will be some sand dunes and open plains where the bikes will really get a chance to let rip. However there will be a fair share of navigation to complicate proceedings. Once in Erg Lihoudi, riders are not allowed to receive external mechanical assistance and in the case of any mechanical issues, the competitors themselves will have to carry out any repairs.

Top 5 after day 2.

van Beveren
Metge
Sainz
Meo
Pedrero
"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
Photos from Sam Sunderland's Facebook feed. A bit damp it seems

"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »
The first leg of the Morocco Rally marathon stage brought mixed feelings for the Monster Energy Honda Team. On one hand, it was a great success for Ricky Brabec, scooping his first stage victory in a world championship event, while Paulo Gonçalves fought a losing battle against an unbearable pain, following yesterday’s right hand injury.

American Ricky Brabec proved to be the fastest as the Morocco Rally arrived at its third stage – the first leg of the two-day marathon stage – which took place from Erfoud and the Lihoudi Erg region. Brabec was looking particularly comfortable astride the Honda CRF450 RALLY, hurtling through the special stage at a cracking pace. The timed section had been reduced to 142.79 kilometres due to the high level of water in the rivers. This marks Brabec’s first triumph in the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship, adding to the seventh stage victory in the most recent Dakar Rally.

Paulo Gonçalves’ fortunes were the opposite. The Portuguese rider fell heavily yesterday damaging his right hand. After battling his way through today’s stage with considerable pain, both the rider himself and the team have deemed it appropriate to retire the rider from the event. In doing so, Paulo will be able to fully recover the hand before the season’s main objective: the Dakar Rally.

Meanwhile, Argentinean rider Kevin Benavides finished the stage in fifth position, a mere three minutes adrift of Monster Energy Honda Team buddy Ricky Brabec. Benavides lies in second overall position in the general rankings, less than ten minutes behind the leader. Brabec is third.

The penultimate stage of the rally takes place tomorrow, Monday, with the second leg of the marathon stage, which will take the riders back to Erfoud. The stage will feature a total of 170.86 kilometres of special, as the scheduled second part has been cancelled.

Stage standings:

Brabec
Walkner
Quintanilla
van Beveren
Benavides

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
From Vincent Crosbie's Facebook feed:

Last night I had the honor of attending the 37th Botswana National Sports Commission Awards in Gaborone.
Fortunately I was awarded the BNSC Chairman’s Award presented by Mr Solly Reikeletseng - I am honored and proud of the achievement and recognition I received in completing Dakar Rally 2017.
Thank you BNSC for recognizing Motorsport within your awards and I am sure this is the start of many awards to come for Motorsport in Botswana.
This wouldn’t have been possible without my loyal family, friends, supporters and most of all Sponsors. You all had the faith in me and I couldn’t thank you all enough

Offline Geotraveller

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
FLOODS AND CONTROVERSY ON THE RALLY OF MOROCCO

The 2017 OiLibya Rally of Morocco has just one more day to run – the short final stage around the city of Erfoud will decide the overall winner of the rally.

It hasn’t been so simple up until now however. After heavier than average rainfall leading up to the event, the rivers that the route crosses have proved to be impassable in a number of places.

On stage two, it was the leaders on the route, Husqvarna’s Pablo Quintanilla, and KTM’s Matthias Walkner and Sam Sunderland who were first to tackle one of the swollen oueds.

The riders were completely blind whilst attempting to cross, the water ran very muddy and it was near impossible to judge the depth in places.

Quintanilla and Sunderland came out the worst, both drowning their bikes and filling the engines with water. Quintanilla was able to carry on to the next checkpoint, where the stage was eventually neutralised.

Sunderland was not so lucky. With his fuel contaminated with murky water the 2017 Dakar winner was forced to retire.

“I’m really disappointed today," told Sunderland after Stage two. “Up to around 45km everything was great, the bike felt good and I was making good time. We got to the river and I followed the road book to the crossing, but although I took it as carefully as I could the bike just disappeared from beneath me. I ended up drowning the engine and getting water in the fuel.”

Later riders arriving at the first river were able to judge the water more accurately due to the help of the leaders. However, a river after CP1 was found to be completely impossible to cross for the bikes and the stage was stopped.

Days three and four made up the marathon stages of the event. Riders travelled to the desert camp of Erg Lihoudi where they would camp for the night and receive not assistance from their teams.

Again, due to the higher-than-normal level of the rivers, these stages were changed slightly to ensure the entire course was passable.

With one day left of the rally, it is championship leader Pablo Quintanilla that leads the overall standings. The Chilean rider just needs a good result on the final day to take the win of the rally and the 2017 FIM Cross-Country Rallies Championship.

It hasn’t been without controversy however, initially penalised with an additional 20 minutes due to missing a checkpoint after that first river and losing time whilst fixing his bike, Quintanilla was running way down the order.

A protest by the team led the FIM to delete the penalty and knock off his time lost due to mistakes in the road book for that day.

That decision by the organisers didn’t go down too well with Honda. Their riders were looking at podium positions and a possible championship for Kevin Benavides until the altered results.

“The stage was really fun but it’s hard to go racing when you know that KTM get their own way,” told Honda’s Ricky Brabec after stage four. “They have a really good spokesperson for FIM and towards the rally organisation. To keep racing after they get their own way every single day is tough for us. We keep fighting and we keep doing well and we can win. But when Honda wins KTM have something to say.

"It’s not good. It hasn’t been a good rally for us. They do something wrong they capitalize on it and get their time back. They miss a waypoint - they get their time back. They get stuck in the water - they get their time back. We go one kph over the speed limit - they give us a one-minute penalty. It’s a little BS for us.”

The fifth and final stage of the 2017 OiLibya Rally of Morocco will be held in the dunes surrounding Erfoud. The two-part special totals 188.15km with the complete stage measuring 232.06km. An undulating final 20km will require caution and good navigational skills before the riders reach the finish.

Tags: