collapse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Follow us on

Recent Forum Topics

Dag trip by Norberto
[Yesterday at 12:13:17 PM]

Welcome to the Roam Africa Roadside Assist initiative by MrBig
[Yesterday at 08:07:17 AM]

Wilde lewe in jou tuin by Dual
[December 15, 2017, 08:32:41 PM]

Daylight running light with integrated indicators - Proof of concept. Thoughts? by theRhann
[December 15, 2017, 12:07:00 PM]

Erkenning vir fotos by Norberto
[December 11, 2017, 07:49:03 PM]

Show your Thumper by Norberto
[December 11, 2017, 07:46:43 PM]

Akrapovic End Can 1200GS / ADV (2010 to 2012) by CaMojo
[December 11, 2017, 01:00:19 PM]

Why do we not have more people adventuring on small bikes? by michnus
[December 09, 2017, 05:00:48 AM]

Honda Africa Twin 'little brother' on the way by jthuynsma@hotmail.com
[December 06, 2017, 12:02:24 PM]

Saterdag middag uitry by Norberto
[December 03, 2017, 07:40:46 PM]

* Recent Blog Posts

4 Blogs, 68 Articles
Latest articles:

[April 24, 2017, 01:57:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:01:49 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:39:56 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:32:47 AM]

[April 24, 2017, 02:22:37 AM]

Author Topic: Why do we not have more people adventuring on small bikes?  (Read 558 times)

Grant650x and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
Re: Why do we not have more people adventuring on small bikes?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
I have just noticed on YouTube that BMW are presenting some very appealing marketing on the GS310

Making me think

BMW have run the best ad campaigns since De Beers convinced women that a shiny piece of hard carbon actually has any intrinsic value.

Two for the price of my AT  :ricky:

Offline michnus

• Global Moderator
  • Get de hell out there!
    • PikiPiki motorcycle travel blog
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Enduro
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
I have just noticed on YouTube that BMW are presenting some very appealing marketing on the GS310

Making me think

BMW have run the best ad campaigns since De Beers convinced women that a shiny piece of hard carbon actually has any intrinsic value.

The GS310 is a good laugh. BMW made it for the Latin American market to get a slice of that huuuuge commuter market. But then they used their GS brand on it. Which is in all term very stupid from a marketing perspective. You don't go and slap an iconic brand like the GS onto a commuter bike.  :grin:

Offline michnus

• Global Moderator
  • Get de hell out there!
    • PikiPiki motorcycle travel blog
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Enduro
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
Hello Mikkels - my son has started talking to me about a gap year and his aspiration of riding a bike through/around South America. He'll be starting his MSc next year and is thinking on "taking the gap" when his done that, and before starting on a PhD. He asked about how to get a 650 class bike over, or buy one there. I mentioned that a 250 size may be better (he wasn't convinced). From his rock climbing trips (and bike trips with me) he knows about travelling light (he calls it "dirt-bagging" - I like the term!). So a smaller bike should/could work IMO.

Point I want to get to is that, as soon as this year's exams are over, I shall introduce him to your travel logs (if I point him there now, he may forget to study!). I think then you could probably expect a 101 questions...  :grin:

Keep the very interesting posts coming! (I've spent some time traveling and working in Peru and Chile, and I realley enjoyed the locals.)

Roxenz if he wants a 650 the Dr650 is well known here. But the Honda 250cc rocks and is boss in South America and Central America. Parts are cheap and easy to get and any mechanic can work on it. 3 South African friends did half of South America on Honda 250CRF's and they are big men. As long as he does not want to go fast. 650cc here is a big bike :biggrin:

Offline JMG

• Bike: Honda XR650
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
The adventure market caters for the 1200 gs type bike. Im yet to meet a supplier that makes pannier brackets for a Honda xr125L before laughing theres actually a group that all travel on 125l s. Then for a few years now weve seen nothing in the 650 class other than a 690 Ktm or if you want a KLR/xr/dr if you happy with an older bike.

Ive said this before and Im still on that mindset, if I have to pick a cheap reliable overland bike it will be a crf250.

Offline WarFly

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Always read the forums from afar so would finally chime in. Have to agree why there aren't more smaller bikes... only because I am tired of bombing around by myself on my CRF250.
The bike is awesome, light and very forgiving with great torque... a bit slow on the top end but when on gravel roads it's not like I will be topping out.

Offline meurig

• Bike: Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
My son used a Honda XR125 for commuting from Somerset West to Stellenbosch and for those who don't know the R44, it is a dual carriageway marked at 100km/h with quite a few steep uphills for a XR125.

I became so concerned the cars were coming up too fast behind him which was more of a danger than him speeding imho, I sold the 125 and got him a 650 that could out run the normal traffic   

Offline zebra - flying brick

• Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455
    • FlyingBrick Motorcycle Accessories
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
The adventure market caters for the 1200 gs type bike. Im yet to meet a supplier that makes pannier brackets for a Honda xr125L before laughing theres actually a group that all travel on 125l s. Then for a few years now weve seen nothing in the 650 class other than a 690 Ktm or if you want a KLR/xr/dr if you happy with an older bike.

Ive said this before and Im still on that mindset, if I have to pick a cheap reliable overland bike it will be a crf250.

we outfit a surprising amount of CRF250L's for up-Africa travel; and mostly pannier racks with soft luggage, that can then take another 5L of fuel. But you are right - when they are on a 125cc bike, or a 200 Agricultural, we have to diret them where to get pannier racks made, before we can outfit them.

So we now request of manufacturers to make pannier racks from SMALL bikes, and they are starting - example being the Kawasaki Versys 300X, etc.
Cherrs
Chris & team
Life! (or something like it...)

Offline Geotraveller

• Illegitimi Non carborundum
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660 R
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

we outfit a surprising amount of CRF250L's for up-Africa travel; and mostly pannier racks with soft luggage, that can then take another 5L of fuel. But you are right - when they are on a 125cc bike, or a 200 Agricultural, we have to diret them where to get pannier racks made, before we can outfit them.

So we now request of manufacturers to make pannier racks from SMALL bikes, and they are starting - example being the Kawasaki Versys 300X, etc.
Cherrs
Chris & team

Good to know.
Thanks Chris
"No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride"

Offline Jacobsroodt

• Carp Diem (Life's short - Ride hard!)
    • West Coast Parts
  • Bike: BMW F800 GS
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
Strange how perceptions work. I am 2m tall and ride an F800GS and a Honda 125 Estorm. I am told that the Estorm is too small for me - indeed my knees protrude above the fuel tank and I am most probably a bit big for it. But I love riding it. The 125 handles incredibly well, has a short braking distance and rides very easily. You feel like a hero hitting 100km/h and it is a pleasure. I did the Toy Run with the 125 -with pillion - and was actually surprised to see how many other small cc bikes there were on the road. Yes, I will not take it to Worcester on the N1 and it struggles to maintain 80 against the Southeaster - 70 in 4th is what you get, but what a pleasure. The best is that you will pick up one for R5000 if you look around.

Thanks for your post Micnus and sharing your wonderful experiences with us - you are a legend in the making!☺ I read your RRs religiously - thanks for enlightening us on Mexico.
BoosterPlugs, LED Spots and mounts, Tool Tubes, LED Bicycle Lights

Tags: